For over a decade, this classic budgeting book has helped filmmakers figure out:
• How do I put a budget together?
• How much will my project cost?
• How do I build an impressive-looking budget for investors and funders? …and answers to hundreds of questions you may not have thought of!
The 5th edition of this “industry bible” (over 45,000 copies sold) includes:
• Downloadable budget templates for free. Adapt these for your own use, and save yourself money and hundreds of hours of tedious data entry.
• Expanded chapter on preproduction.
• New site survey report.
• New information about shooting in High-Definition.
• All the sample budgets have been updated to include either digital capture or nonlinear digital post (picture and sound) line items and explanations.
• New appendix, resource section, and index.
What People Say
This book is considered to be the industry standard and is the best guide to budgeting that there is.
If you follow the guidelines here, you’ll wield a finely-honed financial weapon rather than a blunt instrument when you meet with bankers, lawyers and completion bond companies. This book lowers your stress level by altering your perception of the budgeting process. DGA(Director’s Guild of America) Magazine
Not just about numbers, but the thinking and planning behind a successful project. An indispensable
— Richard Gershman, 1st Assistant Director Lost andUgly Betty (ABC)
I wish I’d had this book when I started making movies; it would have saved me years of plodding.
— Norman Berns, Producer and Founder of www.Reelgrok.com
A comprehensive foundational reference true to the spirit of production budgeting. Highly recommended for professionals and students.
— Jack G. Taylor, Jr., Production Designer/Art DirectorMillion Dollar Baby (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Deke Simon is a writer/producer/director of documentary, dramatic, and informational programs for television and education. His work has been honored with numerous awards, including two L.A. Emmy Awards, and four L.A. Emmy nominations. His credits include series and specials for MCA/Universal, Turner, Discovery, Fox, Fox-Health, Paramount, ESPN, andPBS.